Kiarra Gaba, Blogger at Edumarz
NIFT, established in 1986, was declared as a statutory institute in 2006. It was established under the Ministry of Textiles, the Government of India. The NIFT Act of the Indian Parliament granted the power to present its own degree. NIFT serves high standards in fashion. It pertains to design, technology and management. NIFT conducts NIFT Entrance Exam to segregate the capable candidates for admission into design programs.
NIFT(National Institute of Fashion Technology) Entrance Exam
NIFT(National Institute of Fashion Technology)
GAT(General Ability Test) and CAT(Creative Ability Test)
Annually(once a year)
- Candidates first need to fill the NIFT examination form online.
- This will require you to fill in the information like your center preference, parent’s details, gender, nationality, etc.
- After completely filling the form submit the scanned documents i.e. your scanned photograph and signature, etc. in a JPG or JPEG format recheck the details before submitting it.
- Once the form is submitted, go ahead to pay the fee of the exam through any online source like – credit/ debit cards, dd, or net banking.
- Make sure that you take the printout of the form and payment slip as a proof document.
- The application fee is –
- General/ OBC category : Rs 3000/-
- SC/ ST, PHP category : Rs 1500 /-
- The candidate must keep in knowledge that the examination city cannot be changed at all.
- Also, the submitted fee won’t be refunded if the candidate is not found eligible after editing and submitting the form.
- In case of correction or reviewing the submitted form the candidate shall visit the official NIFT site and log in with their application number, e-mail ID, DOB, and verification code and make the required changes.
The eligibility criteria for NIFT for admission under UG or PG courses are :
FOR UG COURSES –
- Qualification of grade 12 from a recognized state or central education board.
- Candidates with a diploma or degree certificate from any institute recognized by AICTE or State Board of Technical Education.
- Candidates with the maximum age of 24 years till the 1st of august of the year the candidate prefers to give the examination.
- For SC, ST, PHP candidates there is a relaxation period of 5 years.
FOR PG COURSES –
- PG courses or master’s degree programs have no maximum age limit.
- For M.Des and M.F.M programs, the aspirant is required to hold the UG degree from any institution recognized by the Government of India.
- For M.Tech the candidate must have obtained a B.F.Tech degree from NIFT or a B.E./ B.Tech degree from any well-recognized university by the Government of India.
The syllabus for the NIFT entrance exam, which includes GAT and CAT exams, has further topics for candidates to excel in. they are –
- Quantitative Ability:
- Rate of Interest,
- Work & Task,
- Ratio & Proportion, and
- Communication Ability and English Comprehension:
- Words with corresponding meanings,
- One-word substitutes,
- Idioms & Phrases,and
- Correct spellings
- Discernment ability
- Power of observation
- Creativity development thought
- Design ability of the applicant
Skills required for group discussions and situation tests
- Conceptual Clarity
- Knowledge of the topic assigned
- Contribution towards the topic
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to generate new ideas
- Problem-solving approach
- Leadership qualities
- Effective Communication
- Career Orientation
- Aptness for the field
- Overall personal achievements in academics & co-curricular activities
- General Awareness & Aptitude, creative & lateral thinking
The certain preparation material that can be useful for the candidates to achieve the desired result are :
Guide for NIFT/ NID/ IIFT 2021
NIFT/ NID/ IIFT entrance exam guide
Ramesh Publishing House
NIFT/ NID/ IIFT entrance examination
NIFT Entrance exam books – GAT, CAT, MAT, Situation tests
Dr. D Mittal
NIFT/ NID/ IIFT entrance examination
NIFT/ NID previous years’ papers(solved)
RPH Editorial Board
Various facilities are provided in the NIFT universities for the candidates to excel in their respective fields.
- Computer labs
- Photography lab
- Pattern making & draping labs
- Weaving labs
- Dyeing & printing labs
- Technology labs
- Garment technology labs
- Leather Design labs
- Accessory Design labs
STUDENT FACILITIES –
- Library and Resource center
- Hostel and Residency
- Canteen and Cafe
- Health Care & other
- On-campus Counselor
- Gym and Sports center
- Incubation Cell
The courses offered under NIFT are as follows –
- B.Des.(Fashion Design)
- B.Des.(Leather Design)
- B.Des.(Accessory Design)
- B.Des.(Textile Design)
- B.Des.(Knitwear Design)
- B.Des.(Fashion Communication)
- B.FTech.(Apparel Production)
- M.Des.(Master of Design)
- M.F.M.(Master of Fashion Management)
- M.FTech.(Master of Fashion Technology)
The NIFT has only two ways to recruit the candidate or give placement to the candidates. It is the centralized placement process.
- On-campus placement –
Under this, the companies come to the campus for recruitment and for the placement process.
- Pre-placement offer (PPO) –
Under PPO companies can hand over the pre-placement offer to the students before the on-campus placement which will be considered as a job offer. These offers can be made with ideas based on internships/ training/ projects, etc.