Government tried in different ways to fight poverty. Many policies and programmes were introduced by the government. Some measures by government to reduce poverty were:-
- By increasing the economic growth. This growth will bring all sections of the society equal.
- By removing unemployment will also help in reducing poverty. This will bring down the inequality in income. Poor section will get employment and a permanent income.
- Population control measures are also introduced. This will help in increasing per capita income of society.
- To increase the standard of living of poor sections. This will done by providing basic needs to the poor by government policies.
Different poverty alleviation programmes were introduced by the government. These programmes were:-
- Rural Employment Generation Programme– This programme is for urban areas for creating self-employment.
- Prime Minister’s Rozgar Yojana– This programme is for rural and urban areas. This is for low income families for setting up enterprise. For this they get financial assistance from banks.
- Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana – This programme is for urban areas for both self- employment and wage employment.
All these three programme now become Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programmes.
- Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana – This programme latter restructured as National Rural Livelihoods and renamed as Deendayal Upadhyay Antyodaya Yojana.
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act – This will provide secure 100 days work to adult of age 18 and above.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana and Valmiki Ambedkar Awas Yojana – These will help in providing good housing and infrastructure.
- National Social Assistance Programme – This is for providing income to non-income person by the way of pension.
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana– This aimed to providng bank accounts to all rural people.